Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can

Well we know where my vote woulda gone, had my opinion mattered. lol
It is such a relief that Obama won, cuz we all know it woulda been an apocalyptic evening had the penguin won. lol.

There are a lotta people including McCain who thinks Obama's victory is a great victory for Blacks...quite the ignorant perspective.
I wont get too whatever...but here are just some opinions.
Obama's victory is a lot more than a win for African Americans. Ill go as far to say that it was a win for humanity. Seriously.
Think about the implications and what the nation, even the world as a whole has overcome and how its progressed to finally have accepted and elected a president without white skin and with a muslim name...take that in for a second...THAT IS FUCKING AMAZING...to say the least. (I dont really think the whole world is ok with a black president...but fuck, we know the US runs the world...whether good or bad Ill let you guys take that up amongst yourselves)

I got a lil teary eyed last night...maybe I am once again being a tad bit overly optimistic, but even if Obama isnt a great president...our generation has still achieved something far greater as a collective...the ability to see a person as they are (or at least seemingly)...and not what they look like...

But then again, people coulda just voted for Obama cuz McCain was wack...lesser of two evils? Maybe?

All in all, I have a lot to say about how good I felt about last nights results...Im not a really good person when it comes to articulation...I write giant posts just to get a msg that someone who comments gets in about a paragraph. I feel like we have entered a whole new era in this lifetime...and Im anxious to see what happens from here...

Last thing I wanted to say...how come Obama is seen only as an African American...his mother is white...
We're only acknowledging one side of his origins...
What if he was full black? Would that have made a difference?
Its just funny to me because mix people are USUALLY considered whatever their non-white mix is...doesnt that ever strike u guys as odd?
How come he's not the first African - White American president? Just some food for thought.
(and dont tell me the word American implies white!)

12 comments:

jmariangela said...

Ha ha! I think he looks like Dr. Evil. But the Penguin is hilarious too! lol

Janine said...

In the old days, if you had one drop of black blood in you...you were black. Of course, the inference was that there was nothing worse than being a n*****. I think that maybe we still carry those old ways with us. Besides which, if we didn't know that President Obama (loves it!) was biracial, I don't think anyone would automatically assume that he was.

And, to quite a few people in this country, the word "American" does imply white. Sad, but true.

Anonymous said...

I get what you're saying but while I would agree that it was a huge win for humanity I think that it was a good look for blacks because perhaps, we have someone in power to identify with and perhaps that black kid in school who wants to be a president will no longer be made fun of. I mean it is easier to relate as seen since obviously African Americans didnt even care about elections until now.

Anonymous said...

The race might have been somewhat about race or even because people thought he was the lesser of the two evils, but now that Obama is in, his job is just beginning. He's probably got more pressure than anyone in history to do well throughout his term. Now he can prove to the world that he really IS the change he promised and not just the first African American president.

Stephanie said...

I completely agree with you. I've been saying this since he was in the primaries with Hillary Clinton. "He's mixed/biracial... not just African America" & people think whenever I say that, I'm trying to "take away" from him being half African American or his culture, which is ridiculous.

& of course, Obama getting elected President is great for African Americans as a race but I feel that he represents so much more, all minorities.

jmariangela said...

I definitely agree this is so MUCH more then just a victory for african americans as he is half white. He represents a victory for an entire humanity that is truly ready for change and hopeful.

Anonymous said...

I voted yesterday and it never felt so good! and when i say obama won, he won..he wiped Mccains ass then flushed the toilet won! i bet joe the plumber is fixing his wall of sheetrock. it means alot to me because i am black, but most importantly to america..we have come along way. I just wish my grandmother was alive to see this day because she marched with dr. king. The white house has offically been tinted!!!

Nica J.

Anonymous said...

...OH YEAH AND 2 ANSWER UR QUESTION ABOUT WHY HE'S ONLY ACCEPTED AS AFRICAN AMERICAN..HE'S NOT ACKNOWLEDED B HIS WHITE SIDE BECAUSE OF SLAVERY. BACK IN THOSE DAYS WHEN THE SLAVE MASTERS RAPED THE BLACK WOMEN, THEY BECAME PREGNANT AND THE CHILD WAS CONSIDERED BLACK AS WELL..NOT TO MENTION WE WERE ONLY COUTED AS 3/4 OF A HUMAN BEING ALSO. SO EVER SINCE THE AFRICAN AMERICAN SIDE HAS BEEN EMBRACED BY THE WORD MIXED OR WHATEVER. THE WHITE FOLKS BACK THEN AND EVEN NOW DONT ANT ANY PART OF THEY'RE BLOOD BEING CORRUPTED BY US SO WE ACCEPT THEM AS BLACK.

NICA J.

narrylikes said...

penguin! funny.

i won't start with the african-american or black / white thing... because even being african myself i've been told by other people that i'm not, because my skin is too light. yada yada yada.

i am just glad obama won. palin and penguin can go hunting :P

Jai. said...

Yeah his win is literally one giant leap for man kind. I was at a huge Democrat watch party in STL and it was beautiful man. When we found out he won, ppl went effing crazy: screaming, crying, jumping, hugging, dancing etc. But one thing I will never forget is this one old black man(like 75ish) who started jumping like he caught the Holy Ghost and he BALLED his eyes out. His wife was crying too then all these older White women and this young Latina and White woman started crying and hugging him. It was the biggest Kumbaya moment Ive ever seen in life. And I caught that ish on video. lol
But as far as the black thing goes. My entire family is bi-racial or mixed(including myself, obviously) and we just consider ourselves Black. My dad is kinda like Barack, his mom is Italian and his dad is Black, and eventhough he was raised by his white mom for most of his life, he still relates more to his black side. Like you said, most bi-racial ppl are considered whatever their ethnic side is(Bob Marley, Halle Berry etc.) I mean you wouldnt ever mistake Obama as a White man, he's not one of those Mariah Carey's. And he even said he prob. couldnt catch a cab in NY like every other Black dude. Idk, Im just happy hope won over fear and ignorance.

Unknown said...

This is my answer to your question:

Black people want this win Will. Straight up.

That's NOT to say that non-black people don't want this win, his presidency is proof they do too.

The majority of people in western society identify him as black because even if you're mixed with white but "look" more black everyone will consider you black first. This is the reason why I'm often cross-examined about my origins, "which one of your parents are white?", because not only is my skin light, but my eyes are green and my hair is curly. I'm questionable.

If Obama was "full" black he may not even have made it this far. Lets be for real. Him being so deeply attached to his mom's side of the family helped white people feel safe.

Hope not to offend anyone but the opposite is true too.

Obama is what people would consider a "real black person". He doesn't run from that side either. He's not "washed". So black people felt safe backing him and claiming him as their own.

It's extremely sad that his "race" was a factor in this race but it's the foundation North America was built on. The history is all around us.

I understand the way people view him. American means white just as African means black. Anyone white that was born in Africa is NEVER hyphenated once they reside in North America but anyone black born in America is hyphenated.

**smmfh** The world we live in.

Like Sam Cooke said, change gon' come...

Peace.

PS: I cried enthusiastically.

Unknown said...

NOTE: my comment just scratches the surface